To accept the nomination, I must:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated me.
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted for me by my nominator
4. Share 11 random facts about myself.
5. Create 11 questions for my nominees.
6. Contact my nominees and let them know I nominated them.
Since I had four folks nominate me in just a matter of 2 days, I'm going to answer a few of each of their questions rather than 44!
1. What is the strangest thing you've ever had a parent ask you to do or tell you? I've had several surgeries in the last two years. At one of my parent conferences, I had a parent ask me if I had any extra prescription pain meds that I might want to sell him. Um. No.
2. What is your Starbucks order? Grande 6 pump no water chai latte. mmmmm-mmmmm
3. If you weren't a teacher, what would you be? As a child, I was pretty certain that I was going to be Jacques Cousteau's right hand woman on the Calypso. While that didn't go as planned, I still thought I'd become a marine biologist and chose that as my original major in college.
4. Pets? Yep. I have pets. I'm such an animal person. I currently have 3 mini Australian Shepherds and a beautiful Maine Coon cat. I've had just about every pet including: a tarantula, a caiman, hamsters, geckos, ferrets, turtles, horses, ducks, goats, rabbits, rats, snakes, and bearded dragons. What pet haven't I had?
5. How long have you been teaching and what is your favorite grade to teach? I've been teaching for 16 years and my favorite grade to teach is fifth grade. I adore this age group!
6. What is your favorite dessert? Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia Fro-yo hands down!
7. What is your favorite 'me time' activity? 'Me Time' is very important to me and I make sure I get plenty of it. It's tough to pick just one, so I won't! I love playing with my dogs, riding my mountain bike, photography, etc. etc....
8. What is your all time favorite children's book title and why should I read it? Uh oh. I can only pick one? I'm going to have to go with Van Allsburg's The Wretched Stone. Why should you read it? Just do it. If you teach 5th graders, this is a fabulous book given the addiction that some of them (or even us for that matter) have to their many pieces of technology. I had one student exclaim, "Oh-my-god, that stone is kinda like my iPhone! I tune everything else out when I am using it!" Exactly.
9. What is your dream vacation destination? I'm not sure where it is, but it would include a secluded beach with fabulous snorkeling, an outrigger canoe, refreshing fruity beverages, beautiful sunsets, a hammock hanging between two palm trees, and some sunblock.
10. What are you currently reading? I'm between books right now. Just finished Teach Like a Pirate. Not sure what's next on my list.
11. In the animal kingdom, what animal would you be? As a child, I always wanted to be a grizzly bear. These days I'm thinking I'd like to be an osprey.
Time for 11 random facts about me.
1. I once ate raw chicken in Japan. It went completely against everything I've ever been taught, but I survived.
2. I have been known to go to Starbucks several times in one day.
3. I have a thing about 2's. For example: I have to have 2 hair ties to hold my pony tail, 2 pieces of gum in my mouth at one time, and 2 sharp pencils on my desk at all times.
4. I love a good thunderstorm. Unfortunately, they seldom occur here in northern California which makes me miss Texas.
5. The most adorable little almost-two-year old in the world calls me "Gan-ma"and it melts my heart every time I hear it.
6. The closest I get to wearing make-up is my lip balm. As a result, I'm ready for work in no time!
7. My family refuses to play Boggle with me, so I've resorted to playing alone at times. It's lonely at the top.
8. I've had 16 surgeries throughout my life. Eleven of them have been to fix parts that I've 'broken'. I tend to play hard.
9. Dull pencils drive me insane (see #3 above).
10. It's never too early or too late in the day to eat chocolate.
11. I adore shopping the sales for school supplies! It's the only time of the year I actually enjoying shopping of any kind.
My nominations for the Liebster Award are:
Here are my questions for my nominees:
1. What three 'must haves' are in your possession when you travel?
2. What reality T.V. show would you like to be on?
3. What one piece of advice would you give to a first year teacher?
4. If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
5. Who was your favorite teacher in elementary school and why?
6. You find a genie's lamp. What are your three wishes?
7. Who has had the biggest influence on who you are as a teacher?
8. Which room in your house is your favorite?
9. Which would you rather do: sit on the beach or take a hike in the mountains?
10. Describe yourself using only three words.
11. Assuming you had time for a new hobby, what would it be?
Make sure you go check out the blogs of the fabulous folks who nominated me and my nominees for the Liebster Award.